Histoires de filtres...

Enceintes, Hushbox, pointes de découplage, ... Le coin des bricoleurs

Modérateur : Les Modérateurs

jerome69

Messagepar jerome69 » 28 Déc 2007, 03:05

crazyhub> Oui j'ai la même réponse de simulation que toi mais je n'interprète pas pareil :?:
J'ai une réponse de Marc mais j'attends son autorisation pour poster sa réponse complète. J'ai compris qu'il travaille à group delay constant, énergie constante (phase pas aligné) entre le boomer et le médium. C'est un classique LR2 entre médium et tweeter.

crazyhub

Messagepar crazyhub » 28 Déc 2007, 15:33

jerome69 a écrit :crazyhub> Oui j'ai la même réponse de simulation que toi mais je n'interprète pas pareil
et t'interprètes comment alors? Pour moi:
- entre mid et bass: à fx (225hz) le mid est à 100° et le bass à 155° (soit 55° d'écart).
- entre mid et tweet, c'est pire encore: à fx (2250hz) le mid est à -115° et le tweet à -180° (soit 65° d'écart).
Le creux atteignant 5db entre 2 et 7Khz est bien là aussi! Je vois pas ce qu'il compense ici sachant que ces hps ne distordent nullement à ces fr.
J'ai compris qu'il travaille à group delay constant, énergie constante (phase pas aligné) entre le boomer et le médium.
J'attends qu'il t'autorise la publication de son explication pour vraiment comprendre...because la constance du temps de propagation de groupe suppose une phase linéaire en fonction de la fréquence; en ce sens j'accepte l'idée d'un décalage des phases des différents hps, mais ce décalage doit donc obligatoirement rester constant sur une plage de fréquences la plus large possible...hors on sait bien que c'est loin d'^tre réalisable à cause des différences de dimension physique des surfaces émissives. Et "énergie constante" pour l'instant je vois pas ce qu'il veut dire par là!? :wink:

jerome69

Messagepar jerome69 » 28 Déc 2007, 23:34

Ci dessous la réponse de Marc

Below Marc response

----

Dear forum members,
Jerome69 referred to these forum pages because of some confusion on the theoretical back-up of the new Milestones filters. Unfortunately, my French is not so well (my education has been 25 years ago), so I have to write my message in English. As I'm not a member on this forum, I've asked Jerome to post this message (thx!).

I'll split it into two parts. The first one some theoretical backgrounds. The second one about the Milestones filters.

Best regards,
Marc

Chers Membres du forum,

Jerome69 a référé ces pages de forum à cause de quelques confusions sur la théorie sous jacente des nouveaux filtres du Milestone. Malheureusement mon français n'est plus si bon (j'ai quitté les études il y a 25 ans), alors je dois écrire mes messages en anglais. Comme je suis pas un membre du forum, j'ai demandé à Jérome de poster ce message (Merci !)

Je l'ai séparé en deux parties. La première partie quelques bases théorique. La deuxième partie à propos des filtres Milestones.

Salutations distinguées,
Marc

----

Part 1, Speakers and radiation patterns

Let me first make some observations, before digging into the filters themselves. In the scientific papers, you'll find a lot of text on different types of filters, the most famous ones Butterworth and Linkwitz-Riley. They both are time-aligned in the sense that the group delay of the units is the same (i.e. the steepness of the acoustic phase curves is the same). In case of Butterworth filters (which are odd-order filters), the phase difference between the units is 90 degrees, whereas for Linkwitz-Riley ilters (which are even-order filters) the phase difference is 0 degrees (or 180 degrees with reversed unit polarities).
The consequence is that these filters have a difference in the way they radiate off-axis.
Both odd-order Butherworth and even-order Linkwitz-Riley filters are flat on-axis. If you measure both of them under angles in a horizontal direction, and if the acoustic centre of the units is aligned on a straight vertical line (e.g. by means of a tilted baffle), the directivity of the units will cause a similar decay for both filters in the higher frequencies. The main difference is the way the speakers radiate in the vertical direction.

A Butterworth filter radiation pattern looks as follows (kindly borrowed from http://www.rane.com/note160.html ). Please keep in mind that the picture is only valid for one frequency only (the crossover frequency), and will change shape for other frequencies.
Vous ne pouvez pas consulter les fichiers insérés à ce message.
Dernière édition par jerome69 le 29 Déc 2007, 06:37, édité 6 fois.

jerome69

Messagepar jerome69 » 28 Déc 2007, 23:36

Although on-axis flat, due to the fact that depending on the position the relative distances between the speaker units changes, the relative phase will differ, and hence the way the acoustic output of both units will be added. This is reflected by the following pictures (from the B&W 802 manuals).

jerome69

Messagepar jerome69 » 28 Déc 2007, 23:40

One can see that at crossover, the magnitude is +3dB higher. But also at other frequencies one can see peaks and cancellations. In the Journal of Audio Engineering Society 1982, Bank and Hathaway in their article "Three dimensional energy plots in the frequency domain" showed a nice plot of such a system under different angles:

jerome69

Messagepar jerome69 » 28 Déc 2007, 23:43

In a reflective room, one can see that "flat-on-axis" is not really a useful measure to describe the characteristics of a loudspeaker.

Linkwitz-Riley wanted to improve the radiation of the speaker, by making the peak radiate to the front, and avoid it to peak with +3dB. He did it with a nice trick, essentially concatenating two Butterworth filters (resulting in aligned phases). This results in the following radiation pattern: